Friday, May 6, 2011

Dulce De Decorum Est Seminar Reflection

When we were talking about the importance of a picture in comparison to the importance of a quote, Ian said, “In a picture, the picture asks, do you see? And in a poem, the poem asks, do you understand?” I really enjoyed this because I personally have a lot of trouble with enjoying poetry because not all of it has a understandable meaning or you have to fish around until you understand it. It’s a challenge to read and I’m just barely getting used to it and almost beginning to enjoy it! When I see a picture I look at it and maybe ponder over what grief or happiness it brings and it lets my imagination roam and wonder what else was happening during that time, because when a photo is taken, it is only a snap shot of that moment. When I read a poem, at the end your left with a space that you have to fill or figure out. There are so many descriptive words used and it creates several images in your head which is a whole new experience in comparison to just looking at a picture.

At the beginning I had some trouble with interpreting the poetry, and I still do but I have gotten better at it. I am looking at it as a new way to read, a new way to see something because when you read a book you are given the answers. When you read a poem, you have to seek the answers. It doesn’t just come to you, you have to break it down and maybe learn some new phrases or history along with the author of the poem. Poems have a different way of moving you and making you excited with all of the vocabulary and imagery then a piece of normal writing does.

This statement is definitely based on an opinion. It depends about how an individual feels about war. You could strongly believe in what your country is doing, or strongly believe in fighting for your country, being a good citizen but it would never be sweet. There are so many horrors that come with war, I don’t ever see dying being sweet. I could see people being happy from what they died for and that could be a satisfaction for some people. In the end you agree with this statement if you strongly believe in what you’re doing but if you don’t then no I don’t think it would be a ‘sweet’ death.

No comments:

Post a Comment